Some Excellent Questions about Modern “Yoga”
From Carol Horton, on the Elephant Journal.
Read her blog here.
- What’s distinctive about modern yoga?
- What’s its connection to the larger yoga tradition?
- Has yoga shifted into a post-modern phase?
- Has the explosion in the number of female teachers changed the practice?
- How does today’s use of yoga for self-improvement compare to more traditional yogic commitments?
- What’s the status of Samadhi, or enlightenment, in yoga culture today?
- How much commercialization of yoga is too much, and why?
- What’s the real and ideal relationship between representations of the body in the mainstream media versus the yoga community?
- How could yoga be better integrated with mainstream health systems?
- How could yoga and psychotherapy best inform one another?
- Can yoga be a resource for political activism? Should it be?
- Does the yoga “industry” need new forms of regulation?
- Is it OK to label anything you want “yoga”?
- Is yoga best understood a means of coping with or changing the world?
- No matter how much yoga may evolve over time, does it have some essence that’s eternal?